Friday, April 29, 2022

Designing a sequel to 720°, Bonus Entry!

I did have one other idea for the 720° sequel that didn’t fit in with the other blog entries. I was focused on the graphics, controls, and changes to both Skate City, and the competitions that I forgot to mention the soundtrack to the game. I would feature remixes of the classic songs by Earl Vickers, and Hal Cannon. I think that they are both still alive, I’d see if I could get them out of retirements for a few new pieces. Also we have the great cover of the OST by Metronome the City, I’d be sure to incorporate that as well. The game is an homage to the ‘80s skate culture, and classic arcade gaming. I’d try to put together a greatest hits of New Wave, and punk bands that shaped the generation. Groups like Oingo Boingo, Stiff Little Fingers, and The Toy Dolls covered a broad spectrum of US, and British influences. Then there were the faster thrash, and punk songs from Suicidal Tendencies, and Pennywise who helped shape the biggest arcade, and console skate hits. Although Pennywise, and a few other acts were born in the ‘90s, they were still an important part of the scene, and should be included.

In addition to digital format downloads, I would offer a limited edition run on vinyl. The original soundtrack was the very first one to be released on Flexi-Disk. It is highly desired by skate collectors, and arcade fans alike. When Metronome the City released their version they also offered it in a digital, and vinyl format. Putting the 720° sequel soundtrack on a physical record would be a nod to the legacy. Not only that, I would have secret outfits, and skateboards available for those that purchased the soundtrack. Perhaps something inspired by the “Cyco Punk” outfits of Suicidal Tendencies. Which are based in part on Southern California Latino Gang culture. Then there’s the even more iconic outfits worn by DEVO, including the “Energy Dome” helmets worn by the band. I'd certainly enjoy rocking out to the game while my character sported this look.

Do you remember any video game soundtrack ever offering unique in-game items? I’m sure this would be a welcome surprise for fans of the game, and help build enough support to get another game off the ground, if not inspire a team of developers to revisit Skate or Die. What do you think about that? Would you get a limited-edition soundtrack if it offered unique items for the game? Or do you just like listening to rad music? Let me know in the comments section, and I hope I have inspired you to check out skate games from any era. If you would like to sponsor me please visit my Patreon page and consider donating each month, even as little as $1 would help make better blogs and even podcasts!

follow the Street Writer on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment