Wednesday, November 29, 2023

The Best There Ever Was, Part 1 - A 1UP classic from March 10, 2005

The story of Fly and the Black Widow.

"Current streetball players, they owe their whole livelihood to the cats that played the game before. You know, just as we owe our existence to our mothers and fathers. You know these cats playing ball on the streets owe the checks that they getting, the shine that they getting, the exposure that they getting to these cats."
- Scoop Jackson in Nike Battlegrounds.

I'm going to try and keep my editorials to a minimum this time around. I apologize in advance for the gratuitous use of the "N" word in later parts, these are the players speaking and not me. I didn't censor anything because I figured that sometimes the truth doesn't sound as harsh as it should. For the most part I'll try to let the legends tell their stories and warnings in their own words. I hope you enjoy.

James "Fly" Williams: Get this straight, that until he said his real name, people assumed that Fly was James' real name. His game was so incredible that people assumed that his parents had labeled him Fly from birth. James was Fly before Curtis Mayfield had even filmed "Super Fly."
On the blacktops Fly was always good, very good. But in his teen years Fly shot up some six inches seemingly overnight. The next thing people knew was that Fly was 6' 4" and had the speed and handles of people a foot shorter. Some of Fly's life is accounted in the book Heaven is a Playground.
"You can go from east to west, north to south, borough to borough. I'm the only one dropped 50 in a half, regularly. You know, like a kid with diarrhea. You know I was tough man, played two or three different games. You know what I'm saying? 60 here, 45 here, 55 there. I used to add them up in the course of the day. I scored about 200 and change, you know."
- Fly in Nike Battlegrounds.

Fly was flamboyant, in the way he played, the way he dressed and the way he presented himself. On the court he was cutthroat and playful at the same time. Often times making the audience laugh at his antics and making his opponents steaming mad. Fly had exceptional dribbling skills and made players fall with his mad handles. Sometimes he would dribble the ball out of bounds just to get a drink of water and then return to the game and finish off his opponent. He could do all of this to regular players and could hold his own against the best NBA and playground legends like World B. Free, Earl "the Pearl AKA Black Jesus" Monroe and Earl "the Goat" Manigault.

"I was born too early, with the money they givin' out now. They should have thought about me 25 years ago. I'm gonna tell it like it is. I'm gonna keep it real, you know. If anybody come to me, I'm gonna keep it real, anything I tell ya it's not no myth bro."
- Fly in Nike Battlegrounds.

Fly dominated in college at Austin Peay State University and won several scoring titles as a freshman and sophomore, twice scoring 51 points in a season. He was drafted into the ABA and maintained his sense of humor and flamboyant game. In the ABA he was pitted against Dr. J and David Thompson, both sky walking prodigies whose game paralleled Fly's.

When the ABA folded many players were drafted into the NBA but Fly remained on the outside. In the case of Fly there is no blacklist, no conspiracy. Fly understands that his game was too advanced for the rules; he knew that his attitude was also bad and wouldn't allow him to get along with any coach.
The downward spiral of Fly began in the late 70's and by the mid 80's Fly had been reduced to a drug-dependant shadow of his formal self. His basketball skills drained by a hard life on the streets, Fly got through by hustling. After being shot and left for dead in a botched robbery Fly was brought back to life in the ER. Knowing that it was as close as any man could come to getting a second chance Fly swore of drugs and crime.

Fly became a motivational speaker and today spends his time with kids and people on the street. Trying to turn them around by sharing the darkest moments in his life. He knows that people might not be ready to hear about how hard life can be, but Fly's lessons are as important as the lessons any other playground legend has ever lived. The only difference is that Fly is not too ashamed to hide the truth from those willing to listen and learn. The current crop of street players has Fly wondering, have they earned a name or are they simply being labeled street players for someone else's gain?

"The street legends today is guys they give a name to. I mean we earned it man, you know, year after year. I mean a guy plays now for two years and he's 'Kid Dynamite'. "
- Fly in Nike Battlegrounds.

To read a detailed account of the life of Fly visit this SLAM Reprint Article.

Some 20-odd years later in New York (on Fly's turf), a 19-year-old Tyrone "Alimoe AKA Black Widow" Evans was one of the hottest players at the Rucker. The son of Jerry Tarkanian, the coach at Fresno State in California, spotted Alimoe, Rafer "Skip to My Lou" Alston and Chris Parker and offered them tickets to fly to Fresno.

"At the time we were like the hottest dudes in the tournament. Get you guys supposed to go to Fresno City and then Fresno State. But at that time I was caught up in the street life. So what I do, Tarkanian sends me a plane ticket; I take the plane ticket and try to cash it in. I go upstate to Sullivan Community College, which is an hour and a half away. Therefore I can still come back to the hood. See if I had gone out to Cali I'm thinking at 19 'He gonna make me run, make me play D.' I like New York; cause New York let me get away with everything. They like me for what I am. I don't gotta work, I was lazy at the time.

I had a guy that was paying me. I can't say his name. He would just hit me and my boys off just for playing with him in the summer. Its wintertime, ain't no games, he's still hittin' us off. So you know how that is. Got a new chain, I'm in all the parties, all the rappers know me.
 
I just messed most my life up listening to everybody tell me 'You better than Jordan. You nice.' So I don't gotta go to school, I'm nice. I'm gonna do this forever. But when you get to 24 it ain't funny no more. You know what I'm saying? Cause guys asking me 'Al you were supposed to make the league since you were 17. What's up' Now it ain't funny no more. See what I'm saying?

If you ain't strong yourself it's a lost cause. I take my hat off to Skip for that, he's seeing the bigger picture. Me, I'm standing around there, hanging around, drinking all day, smoking weed, whatever. Rafer goes to Fresno State. Rafer is on ESPN getting double-doubles. From there Rafer gets drafted by the Milwaukee Bucks.
 
I called Tarkanian for a recommendation. I can't get in contact with him. That's karma kicking you in your ass right there; you understand what I'm saying? No matter how good they telling me I am, no matter how much I work, I don't have no resume. And it came from that choice that I made. You know what I'm saying?

A lot of guys say AND 1 raping you, they making 400 million, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. That's all I got right now is AND 1.

Guys just think AND 1 is just for highlights. They take that too far and think we really don't know how to play. And they wrong. It's up to us to change their perception on how they think of us. It's up to us.
[On the fans of streetball and the players] That's like saying 'forget the NBA, this is good for me.' Know what I'm saying? NBA ain't for everybody."
- Alimoe from Season 1 of ESPN's Street Ball.

Fly, and Alimoe were two brilliant players, but were they the best from the street? Let's dig in a little deeper in the next blog. If you know the stories of any street legends that could have been then let me know in the comments section please. As always if you would like to sponsor me please visit my Patreon page and consider donating each month, even as little as $1 would help make better blogs and even podcasts!
follow the Street Writer on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment