Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Jet Set Radio graffiti submissions - A 1UP classic from March 21, 2012

Heya friends, did you remember to submit your entries to the Jet Set Radio Graffiti Contest yesterday? I loved the game so much and the prize pack was so cool that I wanted something that might be different enough from traditional graffiti work to win. Unfortunately I was so busy at work, prepping for my gal's b-day, Wondercon and on other personal projects that I only managed to get two pieces produced. The first is the small piece. I wanted to make a simple piece that used colors familiar with the original Jet Set Radio. The green and yellow motif came up several times in the logo designs and map markers in game. I wanted to add a different twist to the graphics while keeping it in the theme of the original JSR.

I thought of punching up the greens and making them look more neon. I would be able to do that in Illustrator and add gradients to make them more unique. Also since the tech in JSR is slightly futuristic then so should the graffiti itself be. I thought that the piece should have drips that flow up instead of down. If only I had more time I would have done other neat visual tricks...

I did manage to put in something that I don’t think anyone had tried before. I printed up some of my classic graffiti pieces on glossy paper and spent a few days cutting them out.

Then I taped those paper graffiti pieces onto a wire stand and arranged them in front of a “wall of fame.” The wall was actually a piece of foam that was painted with stone texture paint. The roll down steel door was actually a piece of cardboard spray painted silver.

I then organized the pieces on a table in the break room at work and began snapping pictures. This was done the morning that the entries were due, just a couple of hours before the deadline in fact! I took two of the best pictures and made an anaglyph 3D image in Photoshop.

If you have the red and blue 3D glasses then you’ll see that my piece actually has depth. I hope the people choosing pieces for JSR select my entries. I’d love to see the reaction of players when they paint "Atomo in 3D" in the game and then look at it through the red and blue lenses. 

Do you think my entries have a chance at winning? Did you submit any pieces to the contest?

As always if you would like to sponsor me please visit my Patreon page and consider donating each month, even as little as $1 would help make better blogs and even podcasts!
follow the Street Writer on Patreon!

1 comment: