Monday, March 20, 2023

Making the List - Originally published on 1UP - February 6, 2006

NOTE: The series that I am going to republish over the next few weeks was originally posted on 1UP in the year of 2006. I came up with a thought experiment; if I could only play one game for the rest of my life then which one would it be? I would publish one entry of my Top-20 every Friday on the 1UP site. It was fun seeing who could guess which game would appear on my list, especially over half the year. After this series ends I am going to revise it, and see which ones I would replace. Or if I would move them further up, or down the list. Where needed I will remove, or edit links if they don’t go to live sites anymore. I hope this dive into the past makes you think about your favorite games. 

Originally published on 1UP - February 6, 2006: If somebody asked you to make a list of your Top-20 Favorite Games of All-Time what would you put on it? Would it be an easy list to make? Would you have 10 FPS and 10 RPG titles? Would your list contain nothing but Nintendo games? What about arcade games?

The list I'm working on now is not going to be easy.

I'm not making a list of my favorite arcade games. I'm not making a list of my favorite console games. I'm not making a list of the most important games ever. Or the top games in a genre.

I am approaching this one with a focus.

"If I were stranded on a deserted isle and could only play one videogame for the rest of my life which would it be and why? What about 20 games in the order of importance to you?"

I already know what number 1 is. I've known what number 1 is for a long time. My brothers know as well. Narrowing down the other 19 is tough. Quite possibly this will be a tougher experience than naming the biggest animated tearjerkers ever.

This can't be "cheating" as I did with my top artists list. I can't have a group of 6 arcade games filling up one spot and call it my number 2 favorite game of all time.

Some gamers at 1UP have only been playing games for a few years. Some of my pals on #Ranma! and my other friends have been playing games a lot longer. 10 years? 20 years? More?

I came in at the transition. The late 70's. When the arcade was still made up of mostly pinball machines. One game at a time the electronic era took over and videogames became king. I am proud to say that I played all of those early video games. I am proud to say that I played some great pinball machines as well.

From that point on I put my hands on just about every console ever released, every electronic game from Tomy or Mattel. Just about anything that was even remotely connected to videogames I had or played. I paid extra close attention to the TV when videogames made the news or Pac Man fever had gripped "That's Incredible."

I have seen the rise and fall of Sega.

I have seen fanaticism get the best of Nintendo.

I have seen Sony become a usurper.

I have seen Microsoft humbled.

I have played some great games in all those decades. Some that I will most likely never play again... not because I don't want to but because the arcade has died in the US.

I have the added pressure not to let feelings of nostalgia get in the way of fact.

Which are those 20 games that I will take with me to the grave?

You will have to wait and see...

In the meantime Pockypimp is working on something epic. Give him a visit.

I’d like to hear your personal top-10, top-20, top fighting games, top sports games, or top games in any genre. Let me know in the comments section please. As always if you would like to sponsor me please visit my Patreon page and consider donating each month, even as little as $1 would help make better blogs and even podcasts!
follow the Street Writer on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment