Friday, April 23, 2021

The Greatest Wedding Invitation Ever! - A 1UP classic from December 1, 2008

Hello friends, how was your weekend? I hope things went well. Didn't do much on my side. Celebrated my great aunt's 87th and uncles 52nd birthdays. It was good to see some family that I hadn't seen in forever. Also fighting a cold, looks like I caught it from a visiting coworker last week. Did some driving to get the latest issue of Arcadia. A few more pics from the upcoming KOF XII. Still looking very nice. There was a DVD that came with it that I'm checking out as well. It's nursing tests all week for me, pray for my sanity. Right now I'm going to talk about something that came in on the weekend that absolutely blew me away.

A red package came in from Hong Kong. Which was funny because I didn't order anything. There were golden drawings of dragons an phoenixes in gold all over the box with my name written on it with a gold marker. I studied it very carefully and it turned out to be a wedding invitation. Quite possibly the greatest wedding invitation ever! On one side of the box the invitation was in English and on the other in Chinese. Michael Lau was marrying his girlfriend Florance Yip at the end of this month and I had an invite! The text on the back of the box was very clever, in addition to the details of the wedding it also read... "© all rights reserved with love warning: all parts of michael lau is female allergic, strictly prohibited for any woman over age of 15 years (except florance) florance is trademarked by michael lau on earth © 12222008 happy wedding unlimited."

Those that are familiar with Lau's work know that his company name is Crazysmiles and uses similar copyright claims on his vinyl figures. The contents of the box were amazing. There was a little red envelope inside with 10 Hong Kong Dollars. It is "Li Shi" money, traditionally given as gifts to the happy couple. I guess I'm going to have to send the money back? The date of the wedding is symbolic because certain numbers are also considered lucky in China. 2 and 8 are very lucky numbers, if you add up all the 2's on the date you get another 8, double 8's, a very lucky date to be wed on!

There was something else in the box. Wrapped in red tissue paper was a pair of vinyl figures unlike anything I'd seen before. It was an all-black Michael hugging an all-white Florance. They were tied together with red shoelaces with the date of their wedding in gold print on it. The colors were symbolic because Michael had a giant "-" or negative on the back of his head and Florance a giant "+" or positive so I guess it's true that opposites attract? Michael's figure was in Nike sneakers and Florance in red heels. A repeat of the wedding information was engraved on their backs as well and if you notice, from behind they make the shape of a heart. How romantic!

So how did Michael propose?

In October Michael had a two-page spread in the pages of East Touch magazine. Michael had first introduced the world to his revolutionary Gardener figures in that magazine almost a decade ago, it seemed only fitting that he would announce the next stage of his life in it as well. The spread was a painting of Michael holding an enormous diamond ring. In a word balloon he says "Ka Bay All" which translates to "will you marry me?" Along with the date of the proposal. October 19th, 2008.

Florance must have said yes because that brings us to today. The wedding is in a couple of weeks and my friends and co-workers are asking if I'm going. I tell them all sorry but no. I've paid all my bills and have very little left in the bank account. That has to last me all month. If I went I'd still have to get the couple a nice present and reserve a room. The cost of flying alone would break me. Damned if I don't want to go though. Damned if I also don't feel like one of the luckiest people around. In addition to friends and family who else do you suppose got one of these invites? The top designers and artists from around the world? People up the chain of command at Nike?

I'll never know. There are a lot of fans of Michael Lau who have collected every one of his figures and collaborations. They have been supporting him since day 1 and aren't likely to get an invite. I can't say I was there on day 1 but I can say I've been there a long while. Being selected as one of the invitees because of my work on the fan page is a humbling feeling. I'll be sure to send him and the Florance something nice as a way of saying thanks and congratulations. EDIT: I created a fan page dedicated to the Art of Michael Lau in the early 2000's. I let the domain expire in the mid 2010's because I no longer had time, or money to keep it going. Although it will no longer be getting updates I have restored it on my personal server for people that want to find out about the Urban Vinyl movementAs always if you would like to sponsor me please visit my Patreon page and consider donating each month, even as little as $1 would help make better blogs and even podcasts!

follow the Street Writer on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment