Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Skeletons, Disney, and Oswald break me out of my art block

Hello friends, I managed to get some more art pieces done in ink, and even illustrator. The going is slow, but I feel good after each piece in the sketchbook. I started with the reliable skeleton drawing, but this time switched it up to a surfer, instead of a skateboarder. I think it came our very well.

I shared a number of my illustrations on Reddit. I had never really used that site before, but decided to post my drawings there, as well as on DevianArt. I was surprised with how responsive the community was to my art. I dug up my old skate skeleton drawings there as well, and got a huge response. It was very affirming to hear the words of positivity. I had a few people reach out asking about a commussion or art trade, but I had to decline. I am very sporadic with my drawings. I can literally go years without touching my sketchbook. So I never want to commit to something unless I really am passionate about it. I did promise one Redditor a drawing from my sketchbook because he asked very kindly. The one doing an ollie over the slippery signs below is what I sent out. 

Skating skeletons were always a surefire way to get me to draw. I even found time to do one of the old Neversoft eyeball monster from the Tony Hawk video games. A lot of people were commenting on how great my art would be on a tee shirt. A few even said that I would make a sick tattoo artist. That was high praise, but I think I'm too old to start tattooing. With that said one person did reach out and ask if I could design a tattoo for him. I messaged that I never did commissions or requests. However the idea of designing a tattoo did catch my attention. The person asked for a skull and skate crossbones, similar to the old Four Star / Crailtap logo, but in the Vernon Courtlandt Johnson style. I said that sounded like a request right up my alley. I accepted the request and came up with this drawing. Do you think this would make for a good tattoo?

Then I got into a Disney rhythm, and did a drawing of one of my favorite classic characters. I love Horace Horsecollar. He is one of a handful of characters that I would give a team to in a Disney Sports Soccer reboot. I could just imagine him having different galloping animations each time he scores a goal in the game. I’d give a team to Oswald of course, or possibly have Oswald and Horace on the same team. I’d give a team to Ian the ghost from Epic Mickey. I’d also have Panchito Pistolas be a hidden character, and the hidden team would be the Three Caballeros. It would feature Donald Duck, Jose Carioca, and Panchito.

Once I was in the rhythm of drawing I was able to crank out two illustrations on back-to-back days. Three years ago I did a piece celebrating Oswald’s 98th birthday. Then I wanted to do one for his 99th, and 100th. The first cartoon that was finished featuring Oswald was “Poor Papa.” This was a lost cartoon that was rediscovered in 2016, and a special concert was put together to celebrate the discovery. I talked about it previously on this blog.

Unfortunately the cartoon wasn’t enjoyed by the Universal Studios Producers Mintz, and Winkler, so Walt Disney went back to the drawing board. The first cartoon that was actually released in theaters was Trolley Troubles in 1927. I did a version of that Oswald for the 99th Birthday. Then I wanted to do something special for his 100th birthday. I wanted to include three historically important rabbits to be celebrating with him. Bugs Bunny was the first choice. Bugs debuted in 1940. The second would be Roger Rabbit, whose film came out in 1988, but was based on a story from 1981. I was on the fence for who would be the third character. I didn’t think Rabbit from Winnie the Poo was big on celebrations. I thought Max from Sam & Max would be too chaotic. I wanted another classic character. Bre’er Rabbit from the 1946 film Song of the South was my choice. Unfortunately he was tied to a culturally insensitive film by Disney.

Just about any trace of the characters from Song of the South had been scrubbed from Disney history, these included the parks. I decided he should still be a part of the celebration. In my book these classic characters should always be remembered. I’m grateful that the global community never forgot Oswald. After a century he was finally getting the spotlight that had been taken from him. I’m certain Walt would be happy to know how beloved the character was. I’d like to know if you had a favorite character, and if you created any art to celebrate them. Tell me about it in the comments section. If you enjoy this blog there are several ways you can support me. You can sponsor me directly on Patreon. Or like and subscribe to my videos on YouTube. You can even subscribe to the Pink Monorail Podcast featuring my wife, and myself. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment