Friday, June 2, 2023

The True Adventures of George Trosley! - Originally published on 1UP - March 13, 2009

George Trosley is an icon from the CARtoons era. He was one of their most prolific contributors and is still drawing strong to this day. In addition to his own website Troz also keeps the spirit of the magazine alive with a CARtoons info page. Anybody that was ever a fan of the magazine remembers "Troz" for two major reasons. He had a regular section in the magazine teaching readers how to draw cars which provided step-by-step instructions on just about every legendary make and model, including tips on creating paint schemes, drawing chrome and metallic effects and Newt-like animated cars.

Fans would also remember Troz for his Krass and Bernie stories. Krass and Bernie were two good friends that shared all sorts of adventures. Their escapades revolved around building hot rods, racing or just cruising around. Sometimes the stories didn't always work out for Krass or Bernie but they were always memorable. They remained kids at heart, they were into models, riding BMX or skateboarding when they weren't building cars. These two were living the life that many teen boys (and a few adults) wish they had. Through his talent for cartooning and some of the cleanest and most detailed panels to grace CARtoons Troz made his love of hot rodding tangible.

Troz' "How to Draw" parts of the magazine taught me a lot about illustration but in the art of storytelling I learned even more as I poured over the Krass and Bernie adventures for years. There weren't any cartoonists that I wanted to interview for this series more than Troz himself. When I e-mailed to ask if he was available for an online Q&A he said yes. Unfortunately he also told me that he's not much into computers so typing responses would have taken him a long while. So he offered to write down his responses and mail them in instead. It certainly was a humbling gesture. The interview you are about to read was all jotted down by hand. When I got the letter I was blown away. It was written in the familiar handwriting style that he uses in the Krass and Bernie comics.

I'd like to return the generosity and let all of my friends and visitors at 1UP know that the Krass and Bernie compilations are available on his website along with his impeccable How to Draw book. Help put his kid through college and order something, or a few things!

So now let's get onto the questions!

Noe V.: Troz you honor this random blog on 1UP. May I take a moment to say thanks for Krass and Bernie, thanks for the How To articles and thanks for being you! I have a million (or slightly less) questions, where do we begin? Ah yes, when did you first get bit by the car bug?

George Trosley: Well, first of all, you are wayyyy too kind... but it's appreciated! First carzy thing I remember is seeing faces in the headlights and grills of mid fifties cars. Some friendly, some mean and aggressive. Guess I was about nine or ten.

NV: What were your favorite cars growing up, any favorites that the parents or family drove?

GT: We actually had a baby blue '54 Ford Station Wagon with wood on the sides. My dad had a cherry 50 Hudson Hornet he drove to work, that wild metallic green. Thought they were cool. My dad usta' give my younger brother and I buckets with soapy pads to do the whitewalls when he washed 'em and always ended up soaking us with the hose as my mother screamed at him. I loved seeing her holler at him and not us for a change!

NV: What is your daily driver and what is your dream car?

GT: My daily driver is my dream car. It's a '39 Ford Deluxe Tudor Sedan. Vintage burgundy, grey interior, 400 Chevy small block, auto trans., Ford 9" Mustang II independent front suspension. I am in love!

NV: Can you describe your local car scene while growing up?

GT: Well it wasn't like the '50's you see represented now. We'd ride our bikes down to this sandwich shop where all the delinquents hung out to check out their cars. No nice paint jobs, lotsa junkyard fenders and hoods. These guys usually were trying to bring back a wreck from death... but it was cool over time to see them get primered. Then maybe cool hubcaps, duals... y'know, the usual stuff. I couldn't wait to grow up and get a license... and a car!

NV: Did school shape your love of cars and art or were teachers annoyed at your hobbies?

GT: I was lucky. I had a lot of teachers encourage me. Get me to draw maps and posters about whatever we were studying. I even did cartoons for the grade school newspaper.

NV: Were your parents or friends influential or supportive of your art?

GT: My dad could draw really well and taught me a lot. He was a major influence although he only drew as a hobby. But both my parents were very encouraging.

NV: Who were your car art inspirations, or your car customizing heroes?

GT: Ed Roth, Mouse, George Barris, the expected 50's and 60's stars. And I loved car magazines. Still have 'em all!

NV: When did you discover your talent for art? When did you know that art was something you wanted to pursue?

GT: I don't ever remember not drawing. My mom said she could always keep me quiet with a pencil and piece of paper.

NV: When were you first published, who gave you your big break?

GT: I sent some stuff to Pete Millar for his magazine Dragtoons but he'd sold it. The new owner used some of my stuff but of course never paid me. I saw it in a second-hand magazine store and was totally blown away! I quit my big studio art job. I was twenty four at the time and on the strength of this!!?!! I set my sights on trying to break into Peterson's CarToons, Cycletoons and Hot Rod Cartoons. And before too long began selling them stuff. I was thrilled!

NV: I've been a fan of CARtoons magazine all my life. Krass and Bernie are the definitive hot rod guys. They live, breath and eat rods day and night. Given a choice I think most guys would rather be living like your characters. Is it true that they are based on you and your brother?

GT: Yes, and a garage we rented to work on our cars. We always wanted to throw a plywood floor up in the attic and move in. We never did but Krass & Bernie did!

NV: When they are not racing around in rocket sleds and nitro-snorting wagons Krass and Bernie also have a child-like innocence about them, they still love modeling, slot-cars, remote control kits and even skateboarding and BMX. Is this a recognition of the converging rod-surf-skate-rock cultures and celebration of your childhood?

GT: Hot rodders never grow up! That's the beauty of it!

NV: Are there some hobbies you've never outgrown?

GT: Yes, cars and girls. What else is there?

NV: What life lessons have Krass and Bernie taught you?

GT: K&B and the whole car community have taught me that good brings good. We all share this love of cars and fall all over ourselves helping each other. It's amazing! Shame the world can't be more like us!!!! 

NV: You are also notable in hot rod circles for your thorough "How To" sections in CARtoons magazine. I certainly learned a lot by following along. How is this approach to art similar or different from what you learned in school?

GT: Over the years I ate up everything I could find about drawing cars. I'm basically passing on what I've learned from others with a lick or two of my own.

NV: The best car artists have an insane amount of knowledge about the auto industry. The evolution of designs and origins of hot rod and customization culture are second nature to people like you. Is part of being a good designer also part of being passionate about the subject?

GT: If you love something you'll always go the extra mile or two... or three... or four...

NV: How is recognizing the past important to an artist?

GT: It's good to see what came first and how it was built upon by the others coming next. Like seeing a frame or the car and watching it go together. And hey, everything old is new again.

NV: Do you ever feel that some artists and designers within the auto industry lack a historical understanding?

GT: I really don't know. I think they'd be interested.

NV: The Big Three are in bad shape right now. How would you feel if they were to close their doors?

GT: Terrible! It can't happen.

NV: What would the impact be on the car art and customization community?

GT: We're into the older stuff. We've got what we want.

NV: Do you see a chance for these companies to restructure and possibly herald a new era in US automotive ingenuity? One that works on alternative fuels technology, restructures the workforce and yet retains a racing legacy?

GT: Absolutely, they're already doing it. 

NV: I want to keep picking your mind about car culture but am afraid my friends would begin having fits. This blog is on a gaming site after all so I have to bring in that community. Are you or your kids into videogames?

GT: My son has always loved 'em. He just started college and his main concern was hooking up the Xbox in his dorm room.

NV: Parents had concerns over rock and roll, comic books and hot rods warping young minds. The new pop culture demon may very well be videogaming. Can you see the flipside to gaming as a hobby or pastime?

GT: Yes, we're training our youth to run the world. Educate themselves and fight the next war by remote control. Guess it's a step.

NV: Have you been approached to design vehicles for any games? Would you look forward to the challenge?

GT: I would but no I haven't. Tell them I'm ready!

NV: Do you think that the next generation of animators and designers in the entertainment field could learn a lot by taking classes in car and even rod design?

GT: I think these guys are at the top of the game. The animation these days is astonishing really. I'm always blown away!

NV: Car culture has seen some legends leave us in the past few years. A few were heroes an inspirations from the pages of CARtoons. What could you tell us about Ed Roth, Shawn Kerri and Dave Deal? Any funny or favorite stories to share?

GT: I saw Roth at a Philly car show when I was a kid and sat on cold concrete all day long. Even followed him to the bathroom, watched him eat. By the end of the day he was playfully blowing air brush air at me. I was mesmerized! Only met Shawn once and unfortunaetly never met Dave Deal. Loved their stuff!

NV: What was your reaction to the Disney / Pixar Cars movie? What about the ongoing Car Toons series featuring Mater?

GT: People love it. Cars are part of our lives.

NV: I know Petersen Publishing is undergoing restructuring but do you think they'll ever release a definitive CARtoons collection?

GT: I'd buy it! But I haven't heard anything about it.

NV: Barring some sort of publishing miracle, do you think we'll ever see CARtoons return in any format?

GT: I dunno. I'd love it and do as many pages as they'd buy from me!

NV: What have Krass and Bernie been up to all these years? Will we see their triumphant return soon?

GT: K&B have been appearing monthly in Car Craft magazine, turning the muscle car world upside down! Get a subscription!

NV: As I'm interviewing (bugging) the legends of car art this month, I am betting that there is enough talent to bring back CARtoons as a web quarterly. What do you think about that idea?

GT: Cool... you gonna do it?

NV: Are your kids thinking about carrying the Troz torch? You have a son that draws cars, is George the IIIrd interested in becoming a professional artist as well?

GT: He draws well but he's heading for a career in business... and making money!

NV: Will the son be going to art school, has he already begun work on his own car?

GT: No, and he's beating the hell out of a 2000 Corolla. Check that oil GT!

NV: If a budding car artist were reading this interview and wanted to follow in your footsteps what advice would you give them? On schools, building a portfolio and determination?

GT: You got it. You need all three! Learn from the books if you have to. Do samples of your work, send or e-mail 'em to anyone you think may be interested and don't give up!

NV: I told you this interview might be less than a million questions. Any words of wisdom that you'd like to leave the 1UP visitors with?

GT: Get going in a direction. Aim for nothing and you'll surely hit it!

NV: Thank you for your time Troz. I wish you and yours the best and hope that your 2009 is filled with great times and great rides!

Is there a personal hero that you would love to interview? Let me know in the comments section please. As always if you would like to sponsor me please visit my Patreon page and consider donating each month, even as little as $1 would help make better blogs and even podcasts!
follow the Street Writer on Patreon!

1 comment:

  1. Nice interview and neat that he replied to your questions on paper!

    ReplyDelete